Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Striped Hall (Barn Version)

 Stripes...they are classic, fun, and unexpected (they are expected in my house, but maybe not someone else's). I love them and frankly, I only got to enjoy our striped hall in our last home for a couple of months. I had to have them again, no question about it. My  friend, and I taped them off and painted away. It was so much quicker the second time around. Because we are using the silhouettes in our bedroom (which you will be able to see through the door in the hall) and the clock in the kitchen niche, this hall decor is different from the last one, yet, still has the same "feel" to it. That was a long sentence...  I get excited and chat away, that's how I roll.
and after...

 Since this hall is located right off of our dining room, this space was the perfect place to store our extra dining chairs and homemade wine cabinet. One of the coffee sacks, that I bought for two Euro, is being used as a rug and looks marvelous in there! So glad I purchased a few! I know, I know, two Euro is a lot to pay for a rug, but I just had to have them... I am so high maintenance.
 I stacked some old books from a yard sale, a Florentine tray (that I bought on my first trip to Italy, ten years ago), and set some bold red flowers in a pitcher on it. I found the pitcher for a couple Euro at a German thrift shop a few months back and I already had the flowers.  I am pretty sure I got the cherry blossoms at Walmart when I still lived in The States. Our scrabble name thingy-mabob, a vintage bottle that I found in the trash and a candle sits to the right of the flowers and books. The chandelier was from my previous striped hall and was purchased for dirt cheap at a German flea market. 
 The etchings above were a gift from our dear friends and are of Germany and Turkey. The two countries that both my grandparents were stationed. The shoe form is an old favorite of mine that I have had since I was a little girl. It rests on a two dollar shelf I purchased from the Goodwill last year. The shelf was white and I painted it black. It is so easy to transform things quickly and easily with some spray paint and a glass champagne and or coffee. I wish chamcoffee existed...what a magical drink that would be. The picture (below) of the typewriter keys was 80 Euro cents at Ikea and the frame was a really ugly find for a dollar at the Goodwill.....
 I sprayed the frame grey, then black, and scratched it up with sand paper so the grey would show through. I am completely satisfied with my two dollar picture, and the hubster loves it too. 

 The red from the flowers really compliments the colors of the (authentic) vintage stickers on our luggage. 
To see how to paint stripes and get paint colors, click here.

Welp, Penny and I are off to take a dog and human nap. We aren't fond of cats...



11 comments:

  1. Love the classic striped walls! What a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stripes too! I painted them in our toilet room........A special room for the toilets in the Netherlands (it's a weird Dutch thing I guess). I keep wanting to psint stripes everywhere! Yours look great. Everyday I look forward to seeing the new things in your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Leah that means so much to me! Aren't stripes the best?!? I hope you are having a delightful day!

      Delete
  3. As always, your space is gorgeous. You have such a great ability to mix glam and rustic.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela! I constantly struggle with all the many completely different styles I love, so I end up just mixing them all ;) I hope you have a fantastic week!
      xo

      Delete
  4. Your hallway is beautiful! Your attention to detail is always so inspiring!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Alice! Your encouraging words mean a lot!

      Delete
  5. For some reason I've never been a huge striped-wall fan, but those really wide, horizontal ones are definitely growing on me. Yours look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the lovely comments! Each and everyone means so much to me! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...